Thursday, July 26, 2007

PEI Day 3

The call of Harry Potter necessitated another trip in to Charlottetown. Also allowed for a booze run (I feel comfortable saying that only because most of the people reading this know how unlikely I am to “get my drink on”).

I didn’t hit our beach today, got back from the Charlottetown excursion and simply felt like lazing around (it is a vacation after all). Dad and Laura tried to go swimming but the jellyfish had invaded over night, ruining their plans.

The highlight of the day was a dinner at New Glasgow. Now, of course, the major draw was the prospect of bottomless clam chowder, bottomless steamed mussels, and a perfectly prepared 2lb lobster (I went small... I’m getting the 3lb next week); But one must mention that New Glasgow sits on the banks of the Hunter river, one of the most picturesque locations I have ever visited. My adjective bank is limited when it comes to PEI as it is not a particular quality in the sights that makes them so notable; It is the quantity of the those qualities that makes the scene what it is. The greens are so green in the trees, the grass, and the crops. The blues are so blue in the ocean, the river, and the sky. And the red dirt is such an absolutely rich red. None of these render well enough in photos or in words to accurately convey the beauty which they combine to make. Toss in the rustic homes nestled in amongst the groves of trees on the banks of the river and you have got yourself an absolutely perfect scene (unfortunately the light was all wrong for a photo... I hope to go back one of these mornings and capture the scene closer to what I actually saw).






After dinner we drove north (through some beautiful farmland) to the cliffs at Cavendish, arriving just in time to watch the sunset. I’m a sucker for sunsets, they take up a good portion of my personal photo collection, but I can honestly say that this easily ranks as one of the most beautiful sunsets that I have ever seen. I have the distinct honor of watching the sun drop behind the Rocky Mountains every evening, a beautiful sight without a doubt, but to watch the sun sink over the Gulf of St. Lawrence is an entirely different experience altogether, one that I hope to experience many more times before I’m dragged away from this place, kicking and screaming.










2 comments:

ally said...

Oh, those photos of the sunset are absolutely breathtaking, Jonathan! I've gotta tell you, my mother would be quite jealous of your family. She's been wanting to visit PEI for ages now. We joke that every five or tens years or so, she gets a bit closer to her goal because we keep moving further east. Haha. Hope you continue to have a fabulous time while on vacation. Take care.

Cyler Parent said...

Holy crap man! These are insane! I especially love the one of the boy, and the one 2 above that.