Thursday, July 26, 2007

PEI Day 5

Went for a drive, found a new beach on the south side of the island (____ point... my memory is very bad), family swam while I took photos. Honestly, The rest of the day really faded in to the background after tonight’s visit to a local Ceilidh (I’ve seen it spelled so many ways... all that’s important is that it is pronounced kay-lee).








I couldn’t tell you what a classic ceilidh is, all I know is that I’ve wanted to go to one ever since I learned how to pronounce it. Tonight’s event was a sweltering little community hall packed with 150-200 people (mostly tourists... I want to meet more locals) and a small stage at the front, just large enough for the three musicians who would play throughout the night. The ‘big’ act was Cynthia MacLeod, a very talented (and rather beautiful) fiddler. She was accompanied on guitar and vocals by a fellow whose name escapes me at the moment. The ‘special guest’ for the evening was a school teacher from the island who played solo (guitar and mouth organ) and with the other two throughout the night. The atmosphere is very relaxed, requests are encouraged and humour is infused throughout the night. But the music, oh the music, is what we came for and it certainly did not disappoint. Celtic, Island, East Coast... whatever you want to call it, that’s what it was. The floor pulsed as 150 feet tapped in unison, the fiddle rang out clear, the guitars (6 and 12 string) were masterfully played, and the drum (Beran?) was just plain cool (I’ve always wanted to learn to play one of these drums). Marri-Mac, Oh Danny Boy, Lord of the Dance, Rigadoon, The Phantom Ship of the Northumberland (????) Strait, and many other classics kept me smiling. With Ceilidhs happening on Mondays and Wednesdays in Brackley, and Tuesday and Thursday in Stanhope, I see the opportunity to attend at least five more of these before I go. I doubt I’ll make them all... but I’ll try, be assured of that.



No comments: