Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day 6

It is hot here, 32 degrees during the day with humidex pushing well above that. You all know me well enough to know that heat and I don’t get along particularly well. Thus my throughly planned out morning to get in the shower, get my hair well cleaned, and then get in the car for a trip down to Charlottetown for a haircut, hopefully before I had time to sweat my hair in to a disgusting tangle that I’d feel guilty about presenting to the barber. Too many details? Well too bad, it’s too damn hot for me to be civil, haha. The plan went almost to plan, though dad did hold up our departure with a long morning walk on the beach (not that I can blame him for that, it is amazing out there). I’m now short and spikey again, feels better than the mop.

Our Charlottetown excursions over the past few days have been purely utilitarian (bread, bug spray, and booze), today was our first foray in to the downtown. The outskirts of Charlottetown are not particularly nice; At times, they actually remind of me the more rundown areas of Calgary (Forest Lawn without the hookers and drug dealers). The downtown is the absolute antithesis of this experience. We find a proliferation of old buildings (late 1800’s), fun little shops (If anyone wants anything from the Cows or Anne shops, you have eight days to email me and add things to my shopping list before I go back for my gifts and souvenirs), and a nice boardwalk along the harbour. I didn’t get many photos this time, the sky was hazy with the heat, and so was I...

Went for a late evening walk on ‘our’ beach (Stanhope). Dipped my feet in the water for the first time this trip; The water was cold when I first stepped in but my feet soon adjusted and I found it quite pleasant. Occasionally you find an area of very warm water, somehow undisturbed by the wave action and the rising tide. Here are some of my favourite photos from the evening, as well as an animation (my first attempt, all handheld with a slowly faltering camera) of the waves under the sunset. [NOTE: Blogger doesn't support animated GIF... you'll have to wait until I'm home] I hope I’m making you all jealous, I want traveling partners for my east-coast road-trip in a year or two.





Those who have been watching this blog will have noticed a substantial dump of info this morning. We found a LAN gaming shop (mom and dad thought it was more of a cave) where I could get online for a bit and upload the last few days. I am one of these people who is horribly annoyed by gamer talk. Yes, I go to a yearly LAN party. Yes, I do play the occasional online game with friends. But I am NOT a gamer by the accepted definition. But, I’ve gotta say, if all gamers had an east-coast accent, I’d be okay with it. I was sitting beside two fellows, likely playing Battlefield 2 or something similar, who were very in to the game and were talking with the all of the lingo... except they were doing so in their born-and-raised accents. My sister and I had to stifle a laugh when one of the players, after what I can only assume was a particularly violent death, burst out with a loud “Son of a Bee-Sting!”. The experience was complete when the attendant/owner (nice guy) asked if I was “from away” when I was paying up after I had disconnected.

I’m not from somewhere else when I’m on Prince Edward Island... I’m from away.

1 comment:

Cyler Parent said...

Man, I'm so there for a trip if I can afford it next summer. :D:D:D:D