Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 39 - New Brunswick and Quebec

Left Hantsport and made my way back through New Brunswick and Quebec.
Made a point of staying in Fredericton just to see Christ Church Anglican Cathedral. I first heard about this church in a Art History course in my third year of college and immediately became a fan of its architecture. I could pass up an opportunity to see it in person and, hopefully, take some photos. Unfortunately, particularly heavy rain from the leftovers of Hurricane Ike made photography impractical (I'm not one to test the weather-sealing on my camera).

Just in case some of you are not familiar with the building in question, these google'd images will have to do for now:



After Fredericton, I pushed on through to Quebec City. After two or three hours on the road, I came to the conclusion that, for the sake of the safety of tourists and generally sane folk alike, no Quebec resident should ever be allowed behind the wheel. Thanks to a suggestion from my father, I made my way over to the secondary highways and found myself immersed in uniquely and surprisingly pastoral surroundings. Five minutes after pulling off the freeway, I found myself in the town of Saint-Denis.

It had been raining all day long and the misty fog had just started to lift. Coming down the road, I could see the outline of a massive stone church standing on a tall hill right in the middle of town. Through the thinning mist, I caught the familiar outline of a church. It was unremarkable from the ground to the roof's peak, but I found myself in awe at a gleeming white steeple. The tapered white-stone went up and up until it disappeared in to the slowly-lifting fog bank. In that first glance, I would have sworn that it kept on going until it melded with heaven itself.
I love small-town ecclesiastical architecture!

No comments: