Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 37 (or so) - Hantsport

After my two-day jaunt around the Cabot Trail, I made my way over to the town of Hantsport (75km northeast of Halifax). I stayed there for two nights with Sue and Bob, Sue being my mom's loving and hospitable cousin (I think) and Bob being her witty and rebellious husband. Rebellious would not be a term one would usually apply to someone just beginning retirement, but it is the only word that comes to mind after many long discussions with Bob about his hard-fought victories (and on-going battles) against "The Man". This fellow has become an expert at taking corporations and governments to task over their mistreatment of the little guy, be it the lousy service from the local cable company for the clients of his tech-support company, or the shameful state of care for military veterans across the country. This man is an expert shit-disturber and I think that's awesome. As he pointed out on many occasions, there are too many people out there who need help but are being ignored by companies and agencies who realize that those individuals have no power to fight the unfair, arbitrary, and often crippling decisions that these organizations make. Someone's gotta stand up for them!

So ya, I came away feeling inspired to do a bit more in this world to help the down-trodden to get back on their feet.

Toured both the Shearwater and Halifax aviation museums while I was in the area. Received a guided tour through Shearwater's museum (I was the only visitor at the time) through Canada's naval aviation history by a fellow who had served on at least two of Canada's aircraft carriers (I never even new we had aircraft carriers!). There was a great selection of aircraft, but my favourite was definitely the Swordfish (same type that crippled the Bismarck). The Halifax air museum has a wider selection, but, due to construction and a smaller budget, it wasn't as nice to walk around. They went for quantity over quality, at least in terms of the museum experience.

No photos to share. My camera stayed apathetically bagged for those days.

No comments: