Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day 7 - Short Man Like Tall Ships

Got news earlier this week that a flotilla of tall ships, including the Bluenose II, would be sailing in to Summerside this morning. In a miraculous feat, I was up and out the door by 9:30AM and we were out on a scouting mission to find the best position to watch the procession in to harbour. After numerous back roads, big enough for two cars only after one driver ditches his vehicle in to the trees on the side (these are the absolute PEI experience), we found a beautiful cliff/breakwater/lighthouse combination where we could watch (and photograph) the ships as they came in. The rental agency was hesitant to let me drive their car, I resented this at first but I am now thankful as the backroads of PEI are one hell of an experience; I am very thankful to ride shotgun with my father at the wheel.

So anyway, the ships! It was another hot and hazy day which, when combined with a lackluster Sigma lense that lacks clarity at the best of times, made for some rather underwhelming photos. Still, I present to you the picks of the crop so that you might experience some of the awe that I did when these vessels passed by me. The first ship is the Bluenose II; I didn't include any photos as it wasn't particularly awe inspiring after they dropped their stern sail (I don’t remember my sail terminology) and ran in on engines well before they were in range of my telephoto lens. I don’t know much about the other ship, apart from the fact that they were flying the stars and stripes. But the fact that I don’t know the name doesn’t change the fact that it was a beautiful ship. And I’ve gotta tell you, when one of them fired off a blank from a cannon out in the bay, it was quite surreal.





Have to include a seemingly random photo of a hermit crab to show you one of my dad’s favourite past times (mine as well): tide-pool watching. From our position on the breakwater, we could look down on the calm side in to fresh tide-pools where shrimp scurried along and hermit crabs had battles royale.

We took the long way back along the North coast, the cliffs of Cavendish are absolutely beautiful. I hope to walk under them at least once before we leave. Also had an opportunity to walk inside and outside St. Mary’s church in Indian River. It was a short experience, I left hastily when my father tapped me on the shoulder, right in the midst of my indoor panoramic shooting, to let me know that a hearse had just pulled up outside and the mourners were starting to pour in. Felt a bit guilty about that, but it is a commonly acknowledged tourist site and there weren’t any large signs warning of the impending arrival.

Plans for an evening beach walk were foiled as I, in a demonstration of my absolute mastery of the art of walking, managed to take the final step out of our cottage with my foot somehow rolled 90 degrees from where it ought to be. I was, and still am for that matter, in a considerable amount of pain (though it is now dulled by a couple of the Ultra-Uber-Super-Fantastic variety of Tylenol). It doesn’t appear to be broken, I can move it without screaming, but I definitely messed it up pretty well. I am desperately hoping that it heals quickly as it’ll make beach walking nigh impossible for me if it remains at its current strength.

Worse comes to worse, I promise photos of the odd looking trails in the sand as I drag my broken body across the dunes in a last-ditch effort to spend more time on the beach.

4 comments:

Cyler Parent said...

That is a gloriously looking cathedral. So jealous!

Victor Panlilio said...

If you think that is a "cathedral" you should see Notre Dame in Montreal — and I imagine the Notre Dame in Paris is even more breathtaking. Of course, there's also the Sistine Chapel... and St. Peter's Basilica... :-)

Jonathan said...

Ya ya ya. I got a taste of the big stuff in my art/architecture history course at the college. I would love to see Montreal's Notre Dame (or, as you said, the Parisian original) but I'll be glad to visit these local translations until I have the chance for the bigger ones.

Anonymous said...

Indeed the roof in there is quite beautiful. I had a hysterical mental image of the actions you described at the end of this post, I can see you doing it too which is the best part, all the while making guttural shouts and fending off a concerned mother and sister.