Friday, August 10, 2007

Day 12 - The gables are most certainly green.

Went to Green Gables today. I’m still not entirely sure why, I guess I just felt that it was something that I ought to do while I’m here. I plan on reading the books when I get home for the sake of having some context so that I might be able to better appreciate what I saw during our walk through the grounds.






But, once again, the highlight of the day was definitely the evening spent at the Brackley Ceilidh. This event is hosted by Cynthia MacLeod, a fact that ensures some excellent fiddle at every event, but includes different guests every evening (Monday and Wednesday) that give a good sampling of the island’s musical offerings. Last week was Gordon Belsher, a long-time islander who oft bemoans his permanent “from away” status due to his birth in Saskatchewan. This week was two members of “The Fiddlers’ Sons”, a very well known group here on the island. These guests usually provide the vocals, guitar, and percussion (baran... spelling still evades me). The combination of all involved make for a thoroughly enjoyable event with crazy-good music, dancing, and comedy.













My only complaint is that these ceilidhs are primarily a tourist event; Islanders rarely make up more than 10% of the crowd. My goal, in future trips, is to somehow get myself invited to a local kitchen party where I can get my east-coast music fix in the real setting, without the nagging feeling that it’s something put on for us tourists. Don’t get me wrong though, I still enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am more then willing to lend you my Anne set. So that you can understand every young girls (and Japan apparently) attachment to the books.