Friday, August 10, 2007

Day 9 - Churches, Robots, and Rats

So guess what??? Tylenol Ultra for Migraines has caffeine in it!

Found that out this morning after a failed attempt at a good night’s sleep. My ankle was absolutely killing me last night so I took three tablets before I went to bed. A bit of math (~60mg of caffeine multiplied by three) would suggest that I had over 180mg of caffeine swirling through my bloodstream during, and obviously contributing to, my futile attempts at sleep. My brain was going 100 miles-per-hour, I think I can safely say that I have now dreamt about every single person that I know. I hope you enjoyed your adventures in space, the A-Team, or in PEI.

Took a driving tour of some of the historic churches on the north eastern area of the island.
The moral of today’s adventure is... Never judge a book by its cover, or, as the case may be, a church by its plain carpenter’s gothic revival facade.

Most of these churches look fairly plain from the outside, usually built from wood or, on the rare occasion, beautiful island sandstone (the same iron-oxide laced red stuff that I have been raving about. Never would one assume that the inside would include groined flying buttresses, intricately carved pillars and reliefs, and amazing ceiling paintings (not Cistine-esque, but damn good for a little island church). Tossed in a photo of some stained glass typography for Victor.


















The trip also gave way to another of my ‘island insights’, everyone is so trusting here. Every church we went to was empty, everyone had gone home, but the doors were unlocked. People leave their windows open when they leave their car in a parking lot. We pass houses all over with their front doors open, I’d bet good money that they won’t actually close them until autumn.

[2AM]
Just driving back from the Brackley Drive-In where we just saw Ratatatouiie and Transformers. One of the few remaining drive-in theatres in Canada, a very enjoyable experience. But now I’m going to bed, a nice relaxing sleep, undisturbed by annoying things like caffeine.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some more righteous shots you have there mon frere. I will be quite dissapointed with you though if someone else took my role as Mr.T in your stimulant induced nocturnal delusions.