Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 20 - Charlottetown and Cavendish

Took a walk through downtown Charlottetown and then a nice drive through Rustico to the Cavendish coast.

Midday off-season Charlottetown was calm and beautiful. One sight of note was the Manada cruise-ship moored in the harbour. I don't remember seeing anything this large in my past visits to the island.


There was also this awesome daschund dog. We were walking along and noticed him sitting the middle of a doorway to a bookstore. We stopped to say hello and give the appropriate behind-the-ear scratch and then continued to make our way along the sidewalk. I heard a jingling behind me and saw awesome dog following us. The owner (of both the store and the dog) came running out and laughingly chided her pet "Just because someone says hello doesn't mean you should run off with them!". Apparently the dog has the reign of that block, often waddling down to the neighboring stores to visit. I love Charlottetown!


Got some Cows ice-cream too, but I didn't get any photos of that. MMMmmmm.....

Went up to Cavendish and stood at the bottom of the cliffs for an hour or so. Daniel staked out a spot on the beach and stood patiently for at least half an hour or so, waiting for a wave to actually make its way up the beach to wet his soles. Some may have been bored by this, but I really do love just standing on the beach and watching the waves.






On the way out, well before their usual dusk adventure times, a red fox appeared at the side of the road. I screeched the car to a halt, grabbed my camera, and proceeded to shoot away. Past experiences with foxes had me expecting about 20-seconds of cooperation from this fellow before he would make his way back in to the brush... 40 minutes later, he was still posing cooperatively! Click on the photo to get to the full set.



And on a totally unrelated note, we saw this commercial when watching TV back at the hotel. I don't think I've ever had a commercial actually make me giddy before. Kudos Discovery Channnel.



Seems I'm not alone. Yay!

2 comments:

Cyler Parent said...

Yo, great shots of the fox.

The video isn't working (anymore?)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud that you and Daniel can make new friends sooo easily!
What a hoot! Love you, Mom