Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 34 - Leaving the island

If I told you that I cried, would I be less of a man?

Yes, yes I would, but one can’t run from the truth.

Confronted with the reality of leaving the island, making that final drive through the rolling hills and along the glorious coast, I actually shed a few tears. Not bawling, not crying out, but I totally teared up at sight of all of that beauty in my rear-view mirror.

On my last full day on the island, I went for a long drive to nowhere in particular up along the northeast coast. Finally found a heron that would stand still long enough for one photo (he then flew off); Spent a few minutes wandering the overgrown grounds of an abandoned church; Stopped at every harbor along the way to smell the sea air and watch the boats bobbing gently beside the pier; And, finally, I ended up on a little road that promised a harbor but didn’t lead anywhere... except for here:


Picture a beautiful red-clay country road that gradually turns to sand as it brings you to a narrow gap between two sand-dunes framing the roaring ocean breaking on the seemingly endless beach. I parked my car, called my mom, and told her right out that she was lucky that I missed her so much. I had found my happy place, and the only thing that could possibly tear me away from it is the overwhelming desire to see my family and friends again soon.

That pretty much sums up my time on the island. I had gone out there to both vacation and job hunt. It became evident early on that job hunting just wasn’t going to happen. Even if I did actually make contact with the people that I wanted to, it would have been in vain. I honestly don’t think I could make the move away from my family and friends. If I ever marry, maybe it’ll be to a girl with a similar love for the island and we’ll make the move together. Maybe my friend will give in to my petitions and move his film studio out here, then I’ll have a job and a good starting base of friends. Or maybe my parents will give into the temptation and build their retirement home one a bluff overlooking a harbour. All I know is that I cannot, at this point in my life anyway, bring myself to be away from everyone I know and love. The island will have to remain a regular (yearly?) vacation destination.

Anyway, here are some photos from my last days on the island:









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried too! I miss you lots!
Love you, Mom.