Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 28 - Deep Sea Fishing and Ceilidh!

Went deep sea fishing today. If you're ever visiting the island, be sure to check out Aiden's Deep Sea Fishing of North Rustico. Excellent service, knowledgeable crew, and well-maintained vessels.

Oddly enough, I have no photos of actual fishing. Our time on the boat was taken up with either fishing or motoring from spot to spot (with considerable salt-water spray), neither allowed for much changing of lenses. It was only on our way out and the way back to the harbor that I snapped some shots.










If you don't like birds... don't go deep sea fishing. When the first-mate started filleting the fish, the boat was enveloped in a cloud of 40 to 50 seagulls hovering and swooping, sometimes less than a metre away from us. I thought it was cool, but I know that my ornithophobic sister would not have appreciated it. The cloud dispersed somewhat as we went from spot to spot, but our trip back in to the harbor saw about 15 birds flying in formation behind and beside us.


Tonight was the last Brackley Beach ceilidh of the season. Had the opportunity to listen to Cynthia Macleod, Eddie Quinn, Jon Matthews, and Gordon Belsher, four of the island's most talented musicians on stage. It was absolutely amazing.

To top it all off, I got the shot that I've wanted since we first attended this ceilidh last summer.


And it only took me six ceilidhs! haha

2 comments:

Cyler Parent said...

You do know you have 8 fps right? lol

Nice output at 1600 ISO. Is this strictly ambient?

Jonathan said...

I wanted to know that I actually had the skill and the reflexes to get the shot without resorting to the machine-gun approach. Plus, since I was using flash at this point, 8FPS strobing would have probably got me whacked upside the head with a cane.

It's no D3, but I'm impressed with 1600 as well. This is a mix of ambient (metering 1/100, f/2.8, 1600) with an on-camera, CTO-gelled, 1/4 powered SB-800 bounced off the far-left wall to fill, knock that shutter speed down to 1/250, and help freeze the action. I love how powerful that flash is at f/2.8 and 1600 ISO.